Saturday, October 1, 2016

Expectations

From time to time in my job, I have discussions with people about what they want technology to do for them. 

This past week I had one where a man, who charges for his IT services, wanted a software that would pretty much set up everything for him so that he would not really have to do any work.

Now, while there is a great degree of automation in IT these days, you still have to be able to do work that you can then charge for.

He wanted everything done for him, to simply sit back and collect the money.

Maybe it's my age, but I'm amazed at that expectation.  A task, or journey of value, will cost us something.

Even when it comes to serving God.  Yes, salvation is a free gift, but living out our faith takes work.

Jesus called this carrying our cross.

"Then Jesus said to his disciples, "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.  For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it.  What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul? 27 For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father's glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what they have done." Matthew 16:24-27 (NIV)

No shortcuts - if you want the abundant, eternal, life - you have to be willing to die.