Thursday, November 17, 2016

Learning by Doing

Having played guitar for over thirty years, mostly by ear, I never had the need to learn to read music.  Sure, I knew some basic note values and staff positions, but nothing that I could consider real music reading skills.

But for piano, I decided to finally give this a go, to really strengthen that skill.

And right now, reading music takes a lot of mental effort, it is rather difficult.  I make a lot of mistakes.

What's interesting is, the only way to do this is to do it.  I can have that music book propped up on my keyboard all day long, but it won't get any easier by itself.  There is no way to learn to read unless you actually start doing it.

The same can be said of our walks with the Lord.  We can't wait until we "get our act together " to begin following him.  The only way to practice our faith is to do it.

" Dear friends, you always followed my instructions when I was with you. And now that I am away, it is even more important. Work hard to show the results of your salvation, obeying God with deep reverence and fear."- Philippians 2:12 (NLT)